Aviation news analysis
50 SKY SHADES - World aviation news

Lufthansa says looking to bring Brussels Airlines into Eurowings

Download: Printable PDF Date: 28 Apr 2016 01:43 category:
Publisher:
Lufthansa says looking to bring Brussels Airlines into Eurowings - Airlines publisher
Krista Kuznecova
Country: Germany Aircraft: Airplanes Airline: Brussels Airlines
Source: Reuters

Lufthansa  is working on bringing part-owned Brussels Airlines into its low-cost airline Eurowings and will decide by the end of August whether to exercise a call option to allow for a full takeover, it said on Wednesday.

Lufthansa is back on the acquisition trail with a view to expanding Eurowings, with sources having said it is also eyeing partnerships or even takeovers of SAS  and Condor, the German airline now owned by Thomas Cook Group.

Lufthansa sees Eurowings rivalling European budget carriers Ryanair and easyJet, which are encroaching on its home market of Germany.

Brussels Airlines is attractive to Lufthansa because of its routes to Africa, where Lufthansa does not offer many flights, and thanks to its busy Brussels hub with passenger from European institutions based there.

Lufthansa owns 45 percent of Brussels Airlines owner SN Airholding, which was created by a group of Belgian business and state investors in 2002 as the successor to collapsed Belgian national airline Sabena, and has a call option for the remaining 55 percent.

Lufthansa said it is due to make a decision on whether to exercise the option by the beginning of June, but this deadline has now been extended to the end of August while Brussels Airlines restores operations following the suicide bomb attacks at its hub in March.

“That is a major challenge under the current security provisions, and must now be the priority,” Lufthansa Chief Executive Carsten Spohr said in a statement.

“And in view of this, we have agreed with Brussels Airlines to give ourselves a further three months to conclude our negotiations on the acquisition terms and devise the migration concept required.”

Lufthansa is due to hold its annual shareholders meeting on Thursday and will report first quarter results next week.



Loading comments for Lufthansa says looking to bring Brussels Airlines into Eurowings...


Recommended

Boeing with Successful Farnborough Airshow, Announcing $100 Billion in Orders and Commitments

Multi-billion dollar orders booked for aerospace services and products Jointly presented strategic partnership with Embraer Announced collaboration with AI company SparkCognition Launched fut...

Airbus and International SOS sign MOU on drone cargo delivery systems

Ensuring safe flight operations for a hub-to-hub drone delivery service Planning an urban to rural or a ship to shore maritime setting Using drones approved by the aviation authorities with a h...

ALSIM to produce Flight Training devices in the United States

Due to continued growth and demand in the North America, as well as Latin America, Alsim will begin producing many of its simulator products in the United States (U.S.) starting in mid-2019. Alsim'...

AW169 helicopter grows stronger in UK EMS market with selection by Magpas Air Ambulance

• Specialist Aviation Services (SAS) will customise and operate an AW169 on behalf of Magpas Air Ambulance starting from spring 2019    • This will be the ninth UK-based AW169 f...