50 SKY SHADES - World aviation news

Russia suspends all Russian airline flights to Egypt

Download: Printable PDF Date: 06 Nov 2015 16:51 (UTC) category:
Publisher:
Russia suspends all Russian airline flights to Egypt - Airlines publisher
Tatjana Obrazcova
Country: Russian Federation Aircraft: Airplanes
Source: ATW

Russia has suspended  all Russian airline flights to/from Egypt, citing the ongoing investigation into the Oct. 31 Metrojet Airbus A321 crash.

The sweeping suspension of flights to all of Egypt goes further than the UK and Ireland, which have banned flights to/from Sharm el-Sheikh, from which Metrojet flight 9268 took off bound for St. Petersburg before crashing in the Egyptian Sinai Peninsula, killing all 224 passengers and crew on board. Top UK government officials, including Prime Minister David Cameron, have made strong statements suggesting an explosive device could have brought down the Russian airline’s A321.

In response to those statements, Russian officials had been urging caution against drawing conclusions while the flight 9268 investigation was ongoing. But the head of Russian intelligence, Alexander Bortnikov, recommended to Russian President Vladimir Putin on Nov. 6 that Russian airline flights to/from Egypt should be suspended until the cause of the crash is determined. Putin has agreed with the recommendation, according to a Russian government spokesman quoted in news reports.

Meanwhile, plans to allow airlines to operate 29 relief flights to get UK passengers vacationing in the Sharm el-Sheikh region back home hit a snag Nov. 6 after Egyptian officials said Sharm el-Sheikh Airport couldn’t handle the large volume of checked luggage being left behind. The UK is allowing the flights, but without hold baggage—passengers can take carry-on bags only.

Egyptian civil aviation minister Hossam Kamal said only eight UK-bound flights would be allowed Nov. 6. “The British airlines opt to fly without the hold baggage of the British passengers who spent their holidays in Sharm el-Sheikh,” Kamal said in a statement. “With this decision, the airport halls’ storage will not accommodate for more than 120 tons of left-behind luggage. This big volume will affect the smooth operation of the rest of the domestic and international flights.”





Recommended

5X5 Aviation Insurance exclusively partners with PlaneWX to reward safe pilots

5X5 Aviation Insurance has been transforming underwriting by delivering customized aviation insurance options directly to pilots and aircraft owners. Now it partners with PlaneWX to recognize and rewa...

WestJet celebrates major milestone in inflight experience transformation

WestJet completed the transformation of its remaining all-economy aircraft, fulfilling its commitment to update the interior of all aircraft that were formerly operated by Swoop or Sunwing airlines. T...

ATR identifies demand for 209 new domestic air routes in Indonesia

ATR identified 209 new domestic air routes in Indonesia that would be economically viable if served by regional turboprop aircraft. Total demand for these routes is 16 million passengers per...

FAI strengthens long-range charter fleet with second Global 6000 in a year

FAI rent-a-jet has further strengthened its fleet with the addition of a Bombardier Global 6000 (D-AFAN, MSN 9471). The acquisition was completed just five weeks after the LOI was signed, underli...

Android Apps development in Riga, Latvia