50 SKY SHADES - World aviation news

French investigators confirm Reunion flaperon from MH370

Download: Printable PDF Date: 07 Sep 2015 18:31 (UTC) category:
Publisher:
French investigators confirm Reunion flaperon from MH370 - Airlines publisher
Dana Ermolenko
Source: ATW

French officials have confirmed that the piece of aircraft wreckage discovered on Reunion Island is from the missing Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777-200, MH370.

In a statement issued by the official French investigator, the flaperon was identified as being one which had been manufactured by Airbus for the aircraft registered as 9M-MRO. It was operating flight MH370 when it went missing March 8, 2014, shortly after taking off from Kuala Lumpur on a scheduled flight for Beijing. 

There were 239 passengers onboard. No emergency calls were made and data from indicates the aircraft steered far west and south of its planned route, ending in the South Indian Ocean.

The flaperon, found washed up on the French island of Reunion in the Indian Ocean in July, was the first physical evidence found from the aircraft. No other debris has been found. It was taken to Toulouse, France, for inspection by aircraft experts.

"It is therefore possible to confirm with certainty that the flaperon found on Réunion island on 29 July corresponds to the one from flight MH370,” the French investigating prosecutor said.

The aircraft wreckage was identified by a sequence of part numbers still discernable on the structure, despite being in the sea for 15 months. The announcement confirms a statement made last month by Malaysian prime minister Najib Razak that the wreckage was from MH370, based on airline paint and maintenance records.

Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) chief commissioner Martin Dolan, added the confirmation of the wreckage's origin would not change Australia's search plans for MH370, as they had already been working on the assumption that the flaperon was associated with MH370.

"All we [definitely] know is that the flaperon at some point became detached from the aircraft and there are a range of possible scenarios from that," Dolan said.

Australia has led and coordinated the extensive international search effort for MH370.





Recommended

EHang launches Global Fast Track Program to accelerate international commercialization of pilotless eVTOL; Sri Lanka first to adopt

EHang launches its Global Fast Track Program — a structured and accelerated pathway for the assessment and introduction of pilotless eVTOL operations in international markets. Sri Lanka is...

SkyDrive signs Australia’s first eVTOL agreement with Gold Coast Helitours

SkyDrive signed a Letter of Intent with Gold Coast Helitours, a premier helicopter operator based in the Gold Coast, Australia. This milestone agreement represents SkyDrive's first LOI w...

Do228 NXT makes its African debut at El Alamein Airshow in Egypt and AAD 2026 in South Africa

In September 2026, General Atomics AeroTec Systems will put a major focus on Africa. With two trade show appearances, the German aircraft manufacturer is highlighting the strategic importance of...

FAI strengthens long-range charter fleet with second Global 6000 in a year

FAI rent-a-jet has further strengthened its fleet with the addition of a Bombardier Global 6000 (D-AFAN, MSN 9471). The acquisition was completed just five weeks after the LOI was signed, underli...

Android Apps development in Riga, Latvia