50 SKY SHADES - World aviation news

Amsterdam Airport Schiphol evacuated over bomb scare

Download: Printable PDF Date: 13 Apr 2016 03:47 (UTC) category:
Publisher:
Amsterdam Airport Schiphol evacuated over bomb scare - Airports / Routes publisher
Dana Ermolenko
Country: Netherlands
Source: RT

Suspicious luggage caused the partial evacuation of Amsterdam Airport Schiphol late Tuesday due to a major “security threat.” The air hub has been given the all-clear and services have returned to normal after military police confirmed that no explosives had been located.

Heavily armed military police wearing balaclavas sealed off parts of the country's busiest airport for hours after arresting a man and calling in explosives experts to check his luggage. A special police robot was deployed at the airport to search for potential explosives.

A witness told the AT5 news outlet said that he saw military policemen chasing the suspect before tackling him to the ground. The incident took place at around 9:45pm local time.

Military police and fire personnel were called to the airport and began evacuating the plaza inside of the airport as well as a train station and bus station outside. Once the evacuation was complete each of the three areas was cordoned off to keep people from entering.

Military police and fire personnel were called to the airport and began evacuating the plaza inside of the airport as well as a train station and bus station outside. Once the evacuation was complete each of the three areas was cordoned off to keep people from entering.

After searching the perimeter and examining the baggage of the arrested man in the presence of an Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) team, a special unit of the Dutch Armed Forces tasked with diffusing bombs, authorities went off to lift tight security measures at Schiphol.

"No dangerous materials were found," military police spokesman Alfred Ellwanger told AP, adding that the suspect remains in custody and is under investigation after "a report of a suspicious situation," lead to the evacuation. He had no details on the man's identity.

Airport officials have now cleared the previously cordoned off area of the airport and announced that all services serving the airport have resumed normal operations.





Recommended

Do228 NXT makes its African debut at El Alamein Airshow in Egypt and AAD 2026 in South Africa

In September 2026, General Atomics AeroTec Systems will put a major focus on Africa. With two trade show appearances, the German aircraft manufacturer is highlighting the strategic importance of...

WestJet celebrates major milestone in inflight experience transformation

WestJet completed the transformation of its remaining all-economy aircraft, fulfilling its commitment to update the interior of all aircraft that were formerly operated by Swoop or Sunwing airlines. T...

SkyDrive signs Australia’s first eVTOL agreement with Gold Coast Helitours

SkyDrive signed a Letter of Intent with Gold Coast Helitours, a premier helicopter operator based in the Gold Coast, Australia. This milestone agreement represents SkyDrive's first LOI w...

ATR identifies demand for 209 new domestic air routes in Indonesia

ATR identified 209 new domestic air routes in Indonesia that would be economically viable if served by regional turboprop aircraft. Total demand for these routes is 16 million passengers per...

Android Apps development in Riga, Latvia